|Large wire compost bin|
It was easier to turn, it allowed me to compost way more stuff, and it seemed to generate the black gold much faster.
But I didn't like that it's open and looks messy, especially in the spring right after the snow melts.
I also noticed that a raccoon was invading my bin at night, and I want to keep those critters away.
Plus now that I've gotten the hang of composting and I am passionate about it, I'm ready to invest in an upgrade! I wanted a large, enclosed bin with a top, but didn't want to spend a ton of money to buy one.
My husband was excited to try building one for me, so he did some research and found the plans for this bin…
|Framing up the compost bin|
One major change we decided to make in the design was to put on three tops instead of one, and to use mesh fencing for the tops rather than fiberglass. I also chose to add clasps to the tops so I can secure them and keep critters out.
Last weekend, It was rainy and cold so we decided to build the bin. It took a LOT of lumber and is WAY larger than I expected it would be.
|Added the wire to the bin compartments|
But, now that we've moved it out to the garden, it doesn't look as huge.
The footprint of this new bin is almost exactly the same as my wire bin last year, but it's much taller.
I love this new bin, it has three compartments for the various stages of compost.
|Compost bins removable front slates|
The slates also hide the compost from site, so it looks much cleaner.
Now I can compost pretty much everything, including yard and kitchen waste.
|Compost bin in the garden|
By the time we complete this bin, it will the cost will be about $150.00 (I haven't added up the exact cost yet).
As I have mentioned several times before, I am cheap. It was hard to swallow spending this kind of money on a compost bin.
|Compost bin almost complete (two tops to go)|
Plus, after pricing retail compost bins, I would never have gotten anything close to this size for this price.
It's a MAJOR upgrade from my previous bins. By the way, the compost the half filled my old wire bin (first picture) only filled one compartment of my new bin half way! Wow!!